Answered By: Linda Musser
Last Updated: May 13, 2024     Views: 306

Individual permission

Per university policy AD49: Office of General Counsel, the request should be forwarded to the Office of General Counsel to arrange the permission. Send it to David Giannantonio ( Once permission is arranged, the General Counsel's office leaves the format of the acknowledgment up to the unit. One style is to provide a standard citation for the item (in whatever style the publisher is using), then add "Permission granted by the Pennsylvania State University." 

Open licensing

University guideline ACG02: Open Availability and Open Licensing of Instructional and Other Materials encourages university units "to make university-owned instructional materials and other university-owned materials openly available when appropriate," including under "a Creative Commons or other public or open-source license." The "Head/Dean of the administrative unit, or their designate," determines whether to release works under such licenses.

Uses that do not require permission

Permission is not required if the work has entered the public domain or if the use of the work fits within fair use or another user's right.

Related Topics

Contact Us

Chat Live Now