Answered By: Ana Enriquez
Last Updated: Jul 07, 2020     Views: 329

You have several options:
  1. The Libraries license many streaming video resources -- if the content you need is already licensed for streaming, all you need to do is point your students to it. They will be able to watch the video as Penn State authorized users. Please contact your liaison librarian or the Libraries’ Music and Media Center for help determining if the video content you need for teaching is available through the Libraries. If it is not, the Libraries may be able to expedite purchase of a streaming license for the video you need.
  2. The Libraries Music and Media Center can create video files of short portions of a DVD that would be screened during a typical class period. When a video screened in an in-person classroom is protected by technological access controls, as are most DVDs, copyright law permits circumventing those controls to make short portions available in streaming format, but not the entire film. To request video files for your course, send an email message to the Music and Media Center with information about the video and course. The video files are accessed via the library’s Course Reserves electronic reserves webpage and instructors can embed the links in Canvas.
  3. Instructors using PCs can use Zoom’s “screen share” feature so students can watch a DVD from the instructor's computer screen during an online class session. U.S. copyright law permits playing "reasonable and limited" portions of a copyrighted film or video during an online class session, and it permits playing entire films or videos if that qualifies as fair use. If your computer does not have a disc drive, you can borrow one that plugs into your computer’s USB port. Instructions for using Zoom’s screen share feature for showing a DVD during class are available from the Music and Media Center, along with a list of libraries where you can borrow plug-in disc drives. Email the Music and Media Center for details. With questions about fair use, contact the Office of Scholarly Communications and Copyright.

For more details on copyright, you may wish to consult the Office of Scholarly Communications and Copyright's page on rapidly shifting your course from in-person to remote teaching.

Related Topics

Contact Us

Chat Live Now