Answered By: Ana Enriquez
Last Updated: Nov 22, 2019     Views: 4

No. Penn State's open access policy (effective date: January 1, 2020) is based on making your accepted manuscript (post-print) open access in an open repository such as ScholarSphere. Most journals do not require payment of a fee to share your accepted manuscript. Paying an article processing charge (APC) is generally associated with making the published version of the article open access (also called Gold OA).

You can use the SHERPA/RoMEO database to check a particular journal's default rules on sharing articles via repositories. If the default rules do not permit you to share your paper, you can modify your contract before signing it by using an author's addendum.

If you are considering paying an APC to a journal that is not fully open access, you may want to read Lisa Matthias's blog post, The Worst of Both Worlds, Hybrid Open Access.

With questions, please contact the Office of Scholarly Communications and Copyright.